Sunday, February 24, 2013

Flying with US Airways (No status)

I have to travel this week for work and since AA (current status: Platinum) does not have a direct flight from SNA to PHX I decided to book with US Airways (After all if/when they become partners my miles will be merged and this will all be worth it, right?)

So I found out:

1. TSA pre-check (benefit I got from AA due to Platinum status) is airline specific. Also located on Terminal A at Orange county airport (while US Airways is terminal B). So if I do not fly American Airlines I can't enjoy the TSA Pre-check benefits
Learn more about TSA Pre-check here: TSA pre-check more information
Currently (at least at SNA airport) this feature is only available when you travel domestically. No international flights will earn you TSA pre-check benefits
Although a TSA agent told me today - they are working on improving that and it will be incorporated later in the year. Sure hope so...

2.  I am able to use the Admiral's club (AA) while flying on US Airways because I have a paid membership to the club and it is not based on me flying AA at all. Sweet!!!
US Airways departs from Terminal B but once you go thru security you can easily walk from terminal B to terminal A (where you can find the Admiral's club) without having to go thru security again.

3. Platinum status does not carry over at this time to US Airways. I asked the ticket agent who politely informed me that the merge is not even government approved yet :(
You have to pay for bags ($ 25 for the first one and $ 35 for the second one)
You do not get priority boarding or any other perks (YET) but you can purchase this for $ 15 per flight when you check into your flight.

4. Double and triple your miles is cheap with US Airways. Maybe because its such a short flight
330+ miles each way
$ 9 can get you to double your miles
$ 19 can get you to triple your miles

5. After purchasing the ticket I got "no seat assigned" message. *sigh*
I thought it was because I had entered my United mileage number when I booked the trip, so I called US Airways and requested my Dividend miles (with current miles 0) to be entered in the reservation instead. Painless - it took 2 minutes to get it done, so now I am able to view itinerary and make changes if needed by logging into my Dividend miles account.
After that change BOOM my seat became "4B" - The best middle seat possible. First row. Extra legroom. Of course not as good as First class seat but "Hey" this is a 1 hr 15 min flight so no biggie.

One more hour to boarding time, so I will update this post with my findings after I try their gate and plane service for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment